An adaption by visiting chef from COY wholefood.
All ingredients are organic.
Vegan Green Curry Paste
(Makes enough to feed 8)
- 1 small handful of walnuts (other nuts work fine as well)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unroasted (raw) sesame seed oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 2 generous pinches of hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 whole freshly squeezed lemon
- 4 tablespoons tamari, soy sauce or braggs
- 1 generous pinch paprika or small pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 generous handful of basil (or small handful of Thai basil)
- 3cm piece galangal or ginger
- ½ green pepper, diced
Place in all ingredients in high-powered blender or food processor and blend until smooth. This paste can be refrigerated for to 2 – 5 days.
Thai Green Curry (serves 4)
You will need
- ½ recipe green curry paste
- 1 packet organic firm tofu
- 2 cups chopped mixed organic vegetables
- 1 can regular (not lite) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon unroasted (raw) sesame seed oil
In a pan on medium heat, heat oil, add tofu and cook until slightly brown and a skin has formed. This prevents the tofu from falling apart. Set aside.
In the same pan add the curry paste and organic vegetables and heat until cooked through but still firm. About 7-10 minutes. Put flame on medium-low. Add the coconut milk and stir through until well mixed for 1 minute. Add the tofu and stir once again and well incorporated for another 1 minute. Some people may like a little extra lemon, a pinch of salt or soy sauce. Garnish with cilantro or fresh basil and lemon, serve with steamed rice.